New Boss Seat Installion and Review - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 128/Firecat(03-06 & 09-?) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): :12' Big Turbo Cat, 13 800 RR

Well bought the new boss seat from Randy at Gobigparts.com Came 1.5 weeks later. Nice packing and def. well boxed. Seat comes with aluminum rivits, button snaps and 2 aluminum brackets for what i found out later (after calling BOSS) are used if you so choose for holding the rear of the seat down, 2 strips of velcro and a warrenty card.

Overall opinion on this seat is excellent quality. I read and reread the directions a few times. Seems like the directions are general for all sled brands because nothing applied to the firecats or described what the two aluminum brackets are for. So as far as mounting directions go I give it a 5/10

Quality of the seat being built i give a 10/10

I started doing some measuring and the seat is 14 inches high from the top of the tunnel. See pictures.

Installing the seat went fairly well until I was stumped as to how the rear of the seat is snapped on. Keep in mind that the snaps are NOT to hold the seat on but rather to keep the fabric straight without wrinkles. The velcro that is applied to the top of the tunnel and underneath the seat holds it on.

When I mounted the rear i eneded up cutting slots in the rear plastic bumper so the brackets could be slid underneath them to be able to pull the fabric back far enough so it didnt look sloppy. See Pictures.

I took a take measure and the tallest part of the seat ( where most riders sit) is level with the gas cap. That is how high the rise is. I am 6' 4" and my knees feel great jsut sitting on this in the garage. Rear has plenty of storage room plus the seat comes with a tow strap that is help in the rear large pocket on the sled.

Another thing to keep in mind when mounting the seat, I was worried about the seat bracket on the sled eventually poking a hole through the fabric. When I called BOSS about the 2 snap brackets, he assured me the seat is supposed to lay over top of it. I would guess that this seat is anywhere from 4-5inches talelr then a stock 05-06 seat.

I am happy with the boss seat and happy with the customer service I recieved from Randy at gobigparts.com
Seat 10/10
The only Downfall is the directions.

bigpoppa05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

Current Sled(s): ProRMK 800
Favorite Riding Area: U.P. Wyoming, ID, CO, Baldwin
Riding Since: 1969

The new seat looks great. Looks like the new highrise may even be taller than the old. The new change for us guys that are taller you will love. The transition between sitting and standing will be a breeze.

I got my RMK seat last week and the instructions were specific to my model. Maybe because it is a unique model and has a little different mounting. I know in the past the directions were pretty generic.

Thanks Dave

Go Big Parts has been selling Boss seats for years and we typically sell around 100 per year. We are the price leader for discounted boss seats. We like to offer good prices right from the start. We focuss on customer service and a great buying experience.

Here is the link to Boss Seats so you can get the most update info from them.
http://www.bossseats.com

Here is our link to our store for easy ordering.
http://www.gobigparts.com/New-Genera...-Highrise.html

If you have any question feel free to email, or PM me.
randy@gobigparts.com

GO BIG or Stay Home!

We are a proud Supporter of HCS
Paul_Aris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
k13
Advanced Member

i was wondering how the seat is when you sretch out your legs it seems a little short but it could just be the pics fooling me
k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

well im 6'4" and i can stretch out and not even be near the rear of the seat. Your legs jsut feel much more comfortable

Old 10-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2009 MXZX 1200, 2009 800r Renegade
Previous Sled(s): 2012 F1100 Turbo
12-13 Mileage: 1200
11-12 Mileage: 800
10-11 Mileage: 750
Riding Since: 1980

thank's for the review...as a fellow sabercat rider...what did you do to raise the handle bars...I never felt the need to raise mine with the stock seat, but if I bought a boss seat I am guessing my bars would be waaaay too low.
1100saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 joker 900 BMP
Favorite Riding Area: Hayward
10-11 Mileage: 1500

Thanks for the info on installing the rear of the seat...That is the only part I was confused on... I love the seat because I'm comming from 2 rev chassis sleds so this is what im used to.
fastdan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

yea I sat and scratched my head for a few mins about what to do on the rear snaps.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Double post

Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 12 XF Proclimb 800

Quote:
yea I sat and scratched my head for a few mins about what to do on the rear snaps.[/b]
next time you get into such an advanced upgrade (MOD), and get a little confused, give me a call. I will be happy to talk you through it

looks good on the little short track
nikstrik7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '10 sp500
Favorite Riding Area: Off trail
Riding Since: 1978

I think this seat is just too damn tall for a shorter guy like myself. I'm 5'8" and its just too tall. I have the origonal Flat top now and thats the same height as the 05/06 F7s. The second gen. Flat Top was a better seat than this new one IMO. The second gen Flat Top was about the same height as the loop that goes around the gas cap and had a nice taper from the tunnel up to the top of the seat. Never got in the way when moving around on the sled in the deep stuff. This new one is going to get in the way for sure. I guess if you plan on sitting down all day this monster might be the way to go. Its just not for me. The storage is really cool though.

Matt
zr6? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement