How to align skis? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 128/Firecat(03-06 & 09-?) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 TNT/X 800 E-TEC
Previous Sled(s): Nytro XTX, MXZ X 800, F7, ZR6
13-14 Mileage: 1414
12-13 Mileage: 1600
Riding Since: 1990
Thumbs up

I did a search and came up with nothing so I'm asking. How do you align the skis on a Firecat? I heard you have to somehow hold the bars perfectly straight with a strap or something, then adjust the skis by turning the adjusters on the steering arms until they're straight. Do you just do this by eye? I also hear they should be 1/8" toed out?

Thanks,
Ryan
Delgaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2008 600 Sno Pro

Take a long stright something set it next to the track and up by the skiis then just measure.

2009 Z1 Snopro Turbo
2008 600 Snopro
2007 F8 Snopro
2005 F7 EFI Snopro
2005 F7 EFI
2005 F5
2003 500 ZR
snowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 F8 Retro
Previous Sled(s): 2011 F8 EXT
Favorite Riding Area: Rivers, Shilo
13-14 Mileage: 2100
12-13 Mileage: 793
11-12 Mileage: 104.0
10-11 Mileage: 3458.4
Riding Since: 1969

Ski Alignment
NOTE: Track tension and alignment must be properly adjusted prior to checking or adjusting ski alignment. Ski alignment must be performed on a flat, level surface. Ski toe-out must fall within the range of 1.6- 6.4 mm (1/16-1/4 in.).

1) Turn the handlebar to the straight-ahead position. Visually inspect the handlebar for being centered and in the straight-ahead position. If there is slop in the skis, place a bungee cord on the ski loops to pull them towards each other.
2) Place a long straightedge against the outside edge of the track so it lies near the inside edge of the left-side ski.
3) Measure the distance from the straightedge to the left-side ski wear bar bolts in two places: approximately 18-20 cm (7-8 in.) in front of the spindle and 18-20 cm (7-8 in.) behind the spindle. Record the measurements taken for the left side.
4) Measure the distance from the straightedge to the right-side ski wear bar bolts in two places: 18-20 cm (7-8 in.) in front of the spindle and 18-20 cm (7-8 in.) behind the spindle. Record the measurements taken for the right side.
5) If ski alignment is not as specified, adjust the alignment of the ski(s).

Ski adjustment
1) Loosen both spindle tie rod jam nuts on the same side as the ski to be aligned. NOTE: One end is left hand thread.
2) Using a wrench on the spindle tie rod “flats,” rotate the spindle tie rod until recommended specification is attained. Tighten jam nuts.
3) Repeat this procedure on each side (if necessary) until ski toe-out is within specification.
3) Verify ski alignment by measuring across from the outside edge of the left-side wear bar bolts to the outside edge of the right-side wear bar bolts (without using the straightedge) in two places: approximately 18-20 cm (7-8 in.) in front of the spindle and 18-20 cm (7-8 in.) behind the spindle.
4) The measurement from in front of the spindle to the outer edge of the wear bar bolts (without using the straightedge) must not exceed the rear measurement by more than 1.6-6.4 mm (1/16-1/4 in.) toe-out.

My_F8_Retro_with_mods
VFRcanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

measure from each bar end to the center of each rear skid bolt, strap each grip so the handlebars are held straight. Lay a straightedge along an alined track as mentioned, do all the stuff as mentioned, but spend the extra couple minutes to have everything straight and the tie rod ends screwed in equal depths on all ends, having one tie rod threaded in all the way in, and the opposite end only threaded into the aluminum 5 turns is not only a bad weak spot, it just looks like your lazy. Experiment with what your sled/setup like for toe. Some sleds track alot better with the ski's only out a 1/16, others track better with 3/8" out.
Pol-Cat#30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement