Blackmagic suspension set up - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 128/Firecat(03-06 & 09-?) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2003, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Snowblind

Firecat Rear Suspension Settings

When testing our F7 and F5 sleds, earlier this winter, it became very apparent that the sleds were very sensitive to body weight and positioning. Under extreme acceleration, the front end would lift (and sometimes not come down for a long ways), and would react dramatically to the shifting of your body weight from side to side. It was nearly to the point that it was uncomfortable to ride at times.

The second week of testing, we took a good look at the rear suspension and made some adjustments to allow the vehicle to have a more "firm" ride in the above mentioned conditions. We re-positioned the coupler blocks to the #3 position from #1, and also placed the rear spring retainers in the center position. After making these adjustments, we went out to test and found that the vehicle acted completely differently. The sled had a fair amount of ski pressure, and acted very "firm" under acceleration and in the few bumps, we were able to find, on our wind swept lake.

We then went back in and put a slightly more aggressive spring tension on the shock of the front arm of the rear suspension. This adjustment produced the ride we were looking for. We were able to maintain an aggressive level of acceleration, while still being able to steer with ease.

The highlight of these simple adjustments is that they will cost you nothing but time to do, with the ability to have a vehicle that will act and react as you want for your personal riding style. Take the time to make simple adjustments like this on your new sled--whether it is a Firecat or of the ZR heritage. The more you learn about the tuning of this for your liking, the better your snowmobile experience will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2003, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
rob
Super Advanced Member

sounds like a lot of noise about nothing..

lets see... they moved the coupler blocks to #3 and the spring blocks to #2 and tested it on a lake. Then they add front arm tension (which the performance manual says not to) and they say it "steers with ease" presumably on the same "wind swept lake".

No mention of limiter strap position or IFS settings, Hmmmmmmmmmm.... sounds like a lot of time and effort went into that test ^_^

rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Snowblind

I here yah Rob!
Old 01-04-2003, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

What a joke! Imagine that they made adjustments and the sled acted differently. BM sucks.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Mine is too stiff.... coupler block on 3, rear spring on 1. Need too loosn the front spring preasure.... and shorten the strap in front. Im 63kg/140lbs and its way too stiff...

F7 sno pro
F 7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I reduced the skid front spring tension. It sounds like they are setting up a drag racer.
Nhpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

why would you say blackmagic sucks?
they are offering their oppinion, no different than any of us,
i've always had good luck with bm's services
dave cat 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave cat 7@Jan 5 2003, 12:15 PM
why would you say blackmagic sucks?
they are offering their oppinion, no different than any of us,
i've always had good luck with bm's services
You're one of the very few lucky ones then

03 F7 SP
98 ZR 600 EFI LE
96 ZR 580 EFI
91 EXT 530
92 Lynx 340 MC
83 Jag 340
flyingf7sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I did exactly what rob suggested. Move the bolts in limiter straps to the 2nd hole, take all the preload off of the front shock and the two ski shocks. Take the "No good" sales picth coupler blocks out and man does this SOB ride now!! I haven't been able to try it in powder because are snow is shot now. All hard pack. It's been 45 degrees for the last 2 days and today the wind is blowing 30 mph and really takin it. Wheather man calling for 40-60 mph tonight!! Need more snow! Bad!!
Listen to Rob. Not BM. I'm sure he's got more miles on his sled then anyone from BM.
pottenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I've also had good luck with Black Magic. I own Rory's test sled which is a 01' Sno pro with 711 Invader carbed. Only sled I've seen beat an F7, cuz I was on it. Goodwin didn't beleive it either, but did it 2 out of 2 races. Anyway, own an F7 SP aswell. Great sled!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement