Hardcore Sledder banner

What pipe works best with stock muffler

16K views 67 replies 24 participants last post by  fastsleddr 
#1 ·
I have had cans and they are loud so i would like to try a Y pipe and new tuned pipe to stock muffler for power:thinking:

#12 ·
with JAWS no. with BMP no but you can get more performance with a tune via a bully dog. you're talking 7-8 h.p. to 10-12 no programmer vs one. a lot of money for a few more ponies? SLP pipe/can combo comes with a resistor that goes inline with the pipe temp sensor. no programmer needed. the resistor fools the ecu and richen up the map @ 7700 rpm and above.

guys that tune to get every bit of h.p. there is, can get more by tuning and testing with a programmer? most just don't want to get that deep into it.

these pipe's will work without a programmer. but it's not like it use to be? you will get a honest 7-8 h.p. with these pipes. the day's of bolting tripple pipes to a ultra and getting 35-40 h.p. are gone. guys should be aware of this. are pipes worth it? we think so and there is more performance for sure.

with any h.p. gain clutching changes need to be done to get the most from a pipe. and you need to pay attention to where the pipe mfg. wants the rpm to be. a little hint here. run your rpm 50-100 below the peak where they say the pipe works best.

why on a long pull as the pipe heats up it will pull more rpm. if you are clutched for the max rpm and it pulls more than peak? there is a sharp drop off in h.p. we always clutch shy of the peak rpm. the sled will just pull and pull that way.

#21 · (Edited)
not sure? heard rumblings about straight line, terra alps, dyno port, etc. maybe someone like outcast will chime in here? on other pipes mentioned and what they found?

these three pipes are what is most popular and what we sell and use. and test both BMP AND JAWS will work good with no controller. and be a honest 7-8 h.p. gain. JAWS will not lose power in very long runs. and this is how greg wanted, tested, and built this pipe. it works we know we test all of these head to head. the SLP PIPE has a edge because it comes with a can and a resistor to add fuel @7700 and above. you can't go wrong with any of these three. it comes down to money and the best deal you can get?

#16 ·
I would want to see if that graph holds true at another dyno before I bought into it.Obviously,any company wants to sell product and I have a difficult time believing there is a dramatic hp increase from a stock single to an aftermarket single pipe these days.
Id also like to see a really well tuned stock pipe sled run against the aftermarkets....and not by guys trying sell stuff....but at a real race.
Also,if I cant hold it tight to the bar for at least a mile without worrying its useless where we ride.

#19 · (Edited)
don't go by any dyno run showing more or less h.p. we see sleds dynoed at big h.p. #'s and see a way less h.p. sled beat them.

i can tell you right now there is no loss at low rpm's vs a stock pipe.

we lined up the same basic sleds stock vs SLP,BMP,and JAWS all beat the stock piped sled. no clutching or gearing changes. none heads up just bolting a pipe on.

while it was pretty close the pipes all were faster then stock one 1000' on hard pack @ 15 degrees ambient temp. SLP was the winner. but this was pipe and can with the resistor. others were pipe into the stock can's. you could throw a blanket over the three piped sleds. the stock one 2-3 lengths back. and all the piped sleds pulled the hole shot on the stock piped one.

we did this multiple times with the same basic result with the exception of the JAWS pipe got faster or the rest started to lose power from heat soaking? after four back to back runs the jaws pipe won.

we know what works in the real world. dyno sheets don't mean shit. it's a tool to show rpm's vs power and where it's made. and most dyno runs are seconds not minutes there is a reason for this. most lose power from heat soaking.

all of these pipes were better than stock. but we clutched the stock piped sled and spanked the others. same day, same sleds, etc. so spend your money wisely.

we have a customer with a BMP pipe into a stock can with a tune. our clutch kit and this sled is a absolute animal. it was tested with the BMP clutching. our was way better. dyno tune clutching vs real world. so again you have to get the power to the ground when that power is added. or you might go backwards?

#22 ·
These are all pretty interesting posts.
Next winter I think we ll be doing some clutching on my buddys "17 xcr 800 and we ride mostly in the U.P. so we are looking for good midrange and top end pull.The comparison sled will usually be my twin piped 800 IQR so we should be able to do some good testing on top end.

Im also hoping the guy in the other thread who is going to run his trail sled on 91 with a silber turbo keeps us up to date with that project.I would love to see a 2s turbo released from a factory but then thats a whole other game.

#23 ·
The reason I posted the bmp dyno graph was to show the difference in the stock pipe and an aftermarket one. Throw out the numbers and pay attention to the curves and where the power is being made.

#24 · (Edited)
So rick, what happens when you run the SLP resistor with the jaws or bmp pipe?. More fuel, right or to fat?. Just coming off doo's that resistor is a hot item on 800r and 800 e-tec. Myself I had Kelsey put his 860r flash in my 860 mod box. I know the doo doctor (my neighbor) sold a bunch of what he called plug and play's. Here's the link
Home

#25 ·
JAWS doesn't like it? to rich up top. BMP seems to like it and just a tad more performance. we have been testing the SLP pipe without the resistor without any noticeable change? no det etc. until you make more then two runs back to back? pipe heat and fade set's in. so it must be lean up top with out the resistor? the resistor in you can make 4 runs before it's noticed.

#30 ·
There is only one pipe that I have tested that makes the same or more power then the stock pipe below 7500 rpm,and that's a TAR pipe. Look at all the dyno runs none of the pipes alone make any power under 7500rpm,they all loose HP except Teds.and you don't need a controller either,however it works better with one..

#31 ·
is this the same guy working out of his mother's basement? because some motorcycle guy's were after him?

get off the dyno. or weed. a dyno pull is like a few seconds? hold one wot throttle for three minutes and this will tell way more about a pipe. and we don't ride a dyno. they really don't tell the whole story.

yup one guy knows more than everybody else? i don't think so tim?

i love these guys that say my pipe makes more h.p. power than yours? kind of like straight line. 19 h.p. from just a pipe bolted on? a crack pipe? get real. most guys want results and reliability. pretty hard to beat SLP, BMP, AND JAWS here. these guy's build pipes for trail riders. that work. period. been proven by us and others here. what kind of cut are you getting?

#32 ·
I'm not getting any cut, ive run this pipe on the trail and performs very well. YOU cant say shit about it cuz you have never tested one..his pipe is just as good as any of the ones listed. And he works out of his garage. He is not claiming his pipe makes more power then the rest..His pipe works better then the rest on the trail where your using it..and pulls great up stairs..you drinking cool-aid too..

#35 ·
not drinking anything. but to come on here and claiming SLP, BMP, JAWS, pipes don't work at anything under 7500 is just plain wrong. we tested all of them against a stock piped sled. not a long rod race motor. they all out did the stocker at all rpm's. no i haven't tested terra alps pipe. i don't have to the ones above work in the field as described. and talking with guys from SLP that have been doing this stuff since 1972 said they have done everything you could do to a pipe and then dyno tested it. they are saying anybody claiming more then 10 h.p. with just a pipe is smoking there lunch. who you guys going to believe? SLP or some guy working out of his mom's garage somewhere in Canada?

until i see a stock sled with just a terra alps pipe into a can out run SLP i will believe it? until then it's all rainbows and fairy dust. kinda like believing in big foot?

#36 · (Edited)
Rick take a breath geez man. Look at my INDY vids. Our last RWYB in March I beat EVERY 800 there, no contest. Terra Alps Motors are crazy strong and his pipe makes power.
In this video I am on my 2015 Stock motor INDY 800 with slp pipe. My Buddy is to my left on my Modded INDY and he's 25lbs heavier than me. I had a bad start as well as over revving and was running with a lot of the semi modded 800s but the Terra Alps INDY is a beast.
Now this is not a pipe comparison but to show you the crazy pull this engine has. It walks away from everything.
https://youtu.be/3RlYz4LZVfk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.