Review: NorthStarRick's 800 Assault Clutch Kit - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback Assault/SKS/RMK (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Axys 800 Assault
Previous Sled(s): 2016 Axys Pro S LE Night Lightning
Favorite Riding Area: Pittsburg, NH and Maine
16-17 Mileage: 3231
15-16 Mileage: 2450
14-15 Mileage: 3750
13-14 Mileage: 3115
Riding Since: 1969
Default Review: NorthStarRick's 800 Assault Clutch Kit

WOW! I'm very impressed with Rick's kit!
Most of you that follow my posts know that a few weeks ago I dropped off my fully warrantied 2017 Axys Assault at Rick's shop for a diagnostic assessment. My sled had suddenly developed an issue.(went from a 800 to a 600 in terms of power) I could have dropped it off at my dealer and they would have done their best to access the issue. Based on previous experience with my last 2 Poo's, I decided to bypass my dealer (who is great BTW) and go directly to New England's #1 Polaris guru...and not a Polaris dealer, NorthStarRick. As much as I like my dealer, I knew that Poo would only allow them so much diagnostic time and based on what the Digital Wrench found, they would find nothing wrong, maybe throw a part or 2 at it and tell me to just ride it. My snowmobile season is F-ing short and because I value MY TIME, I paid him to fix my Assault.
Rick proceeded to strip my sled down and test everything and anything that could cause my Assault to under perform. After finding nothing unusual, he went with his gut and changed my PV relay. This brought my Assault back to life and I was a happy sledder...aka...HHCS, Happyhardcoresledder. After riding a couple more weekends, I was fast approaching 2400 miles. The primary clutch was getting noisy and I knew it was time for a rebuild. I shipped my clutch to Rick for a rebuild. (yes, believe it or not, the Polaris clutch does wear out around 2500 miles on a 155 HP twin...as does Doo's clutch and Cat's clutch) I stopped by Rick's shop this past Thursday on my way to Pittsburg to have him install the rebuilt clutch along with his clutch kit.
Friday I did 150 miles in 55 degree weather. Absolutely amazing. My sled pulled RPM's all day and never disappointed. Rick's kit is the real deal. It's nothing special on paper...same primary and secondary spring rate's that everyone else is using...but the secret to his recipe is in his helix. I can tell based on my experience with many clutch kit's over the years that he's not using your typical angles in his helix. I was running a 50/44 that I purchased from SSI. Rick's kit holds the RPM's better thru the entire range without sacrificing top end. What Impressed the most was how consistent the performance was. Even the stock clutching starts to loose RPM in warm weather. Rick's kit was only down 100 RPM. Today I did a quick 60 mile loop in 18 degree temps and my RPM's were spot on. Backshift is great. His kit really wakes up the Assault and just makes it a blast to ride. Like I said, I've purchased many clutch kits over the years and most end up being a disappointment. Rick's kit is the real deal. It make's an already great sled, even greater!
dskofich and Neal@BMP like this.

New Hampshire

2017 800 Assault 144

2014 Indy 600

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lennstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 14 800 cat,14 Turbo cat.16 prox sb,17 SBA
Previous Sled(s): Many
Favorite Riding Area: of,cl,Tug,Quebec
16-17 Mileage: 1600
Riding Since: 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennstang View Post
WOW! I'm very impressed with Rick's kit!
Most of you that follow my posts know that a few weeks ago I dropped off my fully warrantied 2017 Axys Assault at Rick's shop for a diagnostic assessment. My sled had suddenly developed an issue.(went from a 800 to a 600 in terms of power) I could have dropped it off at my dealer and they would have done their best to access the issue. Based on previous experience with my last 2 Poo's, I decided to bypass my dealer (who is great BTW) and go directly to New England's #1 Polaris guru...and not a Polaris dealer, NorthStarRick. As much as I like my dealer, I knew that Poo would only allow them so much diagnostic time and based on what the Digital Wrench found, they would find nothing wrong, maybe throw a part or 2 at it and tell me to just ride it. My snowmobile season is F-ing short and because I value MY TIME, I paid him to fix my Assault.
Rick proceeded to strip my sled down and test everything and anything that could cause my Assault to under perform. After finding nothing unusual, he went with his gut and changed my PV relay. This brought my Assault back to life and I was a happy sledder...aka...HHCS, Happyhardcoresledder. After riding a couple more weekends, I was fast approaching 2400 miles. The primary clutch was getting noisy and I knew it was time for a rebuild. I shipped my clutch to Rick for a rebuild. (yes, believe it or not, the Polaris clutch does wear out around 2500 miles on a 155 HP twin...as does Doo's clutch and Cat's clutch) I stopped by Rick's shop this past Thursday on my way to Pittsburg to have him install the rebuilt clutch along with his clutch kit.
Friday I did 150 miles in 55 degree weather. Absolutely amazing. My sled pulled RPM's all day and never disappointed. Rick's kit is the real deal. It's nothing special on paper...same primary and secondary spring rate's that everyone else is using...but the secret to his recipe is in his helix. I can tell based on my experience with many clutch kit's over the years that he's not using your typical angles in his helix. I was running a 50/44 that I purchased from SSI. Rick's kit holds the RPM's better thru the entire range without sacrificing top end. What Impressed the most was how consistent the performance was. Even the stock clutching starts to loose RPM in warm weather. Rick's kit was only down 100 RPM. Today I did a quick 60 mile loop in 18 degree temps and my RPM's were spot on. Backshift is great. His kit really wakes up the Assault and just makes it a blast to ride. Like I said, I've purchased many clutch kits over the years and most end up being a disappointment. Rick's kit is the real deal. It make's an already great sled, even greater!
Glad to here it's working great for you. I spoke with Rick in early January about purchasing Two of his kits one for our Assault and the other for our Pro x sb, he said his helix was on back order I gave him my name and contact info he was going to call me when they became available, Four weeks later I called again he did not answer I left a detailed message still have not herd from him. Consider yourself lucky.
rynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynex View Post
Glad to here it's working great for you. I spoke with Rick in early January about purchasing Two of his kits one for our Assault and the other for our Pro x sb, he said his helix was on back order I gave him my name and contact info he was going to call me when they became available, Four weeks later I called again he did not answer I left a detailed message still have not herd from him. Consider yourself lucky.
sorry if we didn't get back to you. timing has been terrible this year on getting parts, product etc. we are one of if not the biggest buyers venom has.

it got to the point people were pre-paying for kits. we just couldn't fill all the orders. and the guys that paid up front had to be sent out first. this usually exhausted our helix supply. even if i order 1000 helixes i only get them in batches? 10-20 maybe? at a time. venom has a lot of other big customers also slp,bmp, etc.

this and i work on 150 plus sleds, help sponsor two iron dog race teams, and try and test some new stuff we are working on. not enough time in the day.

just fell at the wrong time i guess we apologize for that. i don't answer my phone much during the day. i can't as i won't get anything done. i also had a issue with my cell phone carrier in january. was only getting some messages and not others? to many messages they told me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2017, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 16 800 Switchback Assault 144
Previous Sled(s): Cats, Doos, Yam and Poos
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec
14-15 Mileage: 1300
13-14 Mileage: 800
Riding Since: 1988

Rick how is the best way to get in touch with you..would like to have my clutch done...or get the kit..I'm in no hurry looking for next season..2600 miles so far def will be over 3k by end of season..2017 SBA 800
Thanks!
f7cul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f7cul8r View Post
rick how is the best way to get in touch with you..would like to have my clutch done...or get the kit..i'm in no hurry looking for next season..2600 miles so far def will be over 3k by end of season..2017 sba 800
thanks!
603-662-7370

Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
Old 02-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Meat Man

Current Sled(s): A Trail weapon Black S 800 SB ANV
Previous Sled(s): To many to list.
Favorite Riding Area: Out my front door.
Riding Since: 1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
603-662-7370
Good job Rick,

When you get a good review from lennstang you nailed it IMO.

Now for the rest go pound sand.

Badger.

No worries Cappy I'm on it.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Good job Rick,

When you get a good review from lennstang you nailed it IMO.

Now for the rest go pound sand.

Badger.
thanks Badger. that means a lot. yea i get shit all the time from you know who? but we spend a lot of time on this stuff and it pay's off with reports like Lenn's and is why we get calls from iron dog racers etc.

thank
you

Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
Old 02-27-2017, 06:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '17 sb assault '15 ski doo mxz 600
Previous Sled(s): 09 dragon 800,02 xc800sp
Favorite Riding Area: berlin-errol,nh carrabassett
13-14 Mileage: 1000

For those of you who do off trail riding you don't have to worry about holding rpm's with Ricks kit either. I was riding in 2-3 feet of powder on some untouched power lines the other day and there was no loss of rpm,s. 8350-8450 never even struggled! My skis hit the snow only when i got to the top of the hill. I was smiling so hard it hurt!!
thechief200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): MY17 800 SBA
Previous Sled(s): '15 800 ProS,'12 800 ProR,'06 Switchback 600HO, '01 700SKS
Riding Since: 1999

thechief200 may have answered my question, Rick can your comment on off trail and deep snow performance of your kit? Specifically as it applies to the 1.325 cobra tracked SBA?
squidbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '17 sb assault '15 ski doo mxz 600
Previous Sled(s): 09 dragon 800,02 xc800sp
Favorite Riding Area: berlin-errol,nh carrabassett
13-14 Mileage: 1000

I also have the same cobra track and couldn't be happier with it. I'm 275 lbs with gear and i leave much lighter riders that i ride with smelling my klotz if that helps you.
thechief200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement